Mercantile Stores & Businesses in the Mystic, Connecticut Area
Object ID:
R-36
Description:
Two men standing inside the T.H. Newbury store, East Main Street, Mystic. Plates, cups and other chinaware can be seen displayed on shelves and tables, 1890-1910. A sign reading "MYSTIC/SOUVENIR/CHINA" is visible in front of the tables. An electric light hangs over an area near what appears to be a counter in the background. Courtesy Mystic Seaport Museum, #1980.41.530.

Taken by Edward H. Newbury (1867-1960), a Mystic businessman and amateur photographer. Thomas H. Newbury, father of Edward H., sold plumbing (including ship plumbing), sheet metal and hardware goods and services. The T.H. Newbury store was in operation for many years. The commercial building in which the store was located, on the northwest corner of East Main and Holmes Streets, was known earlier as the Mallory Block, and later came to be known as the Newbury Block. Edward H. Newbury took over the store and business from his father.
Photographer:
Newbury, Edward H.
Click to Enlarge
Image