Virgil Woodrow Huntley (1916-2018), "the Memory of Mystic" - 102 Years of Photos and Memories!
Object ID:
1983.001.0473
Collection:
Dickinson Collection
Description:
Bank Square at West Main Street and Water Street, ca. 1933. The photo was taken sometime after 1932, when the larger bank building was built, and before 1938, when the great hurricane blew off the steeple of the Union Baptist Church.

From right to left are Donath's Lunch, The Modern Grill, Mystic River National Bank (now Fleet Bank), and the offices of Burrows Coal Co. and Wilcox Fertilizer Co. (now Mystic Pizza). At the top of Baptist Hill in the distance stands the Union Baptist Church. In the left foreground is a sign for a garage and gas station owned and operated by Ray Robinson from 1929 to 1959; Bank Square Books is located on the site now.
Photographer:
Dickinson, M. Josephine
Copyright:
Mystic River Historical Society
Click to Enlarge
Image