Haley Family in the Mystic, Connecticut Area
Object ID:
General Collection
Scope & Content:
6 Manuscript boxes of material of William Downes, containing maps, letters, booklets and other material, with a handwritten inventory in Box 6. Duplicates and non Mystic material may have been removed:
- "The Story of One Corner of Connecticut in Sixteen Maps"
- "A Program of American Music for Mystic's Bicentennial Celebration"
- A number of Bicentennial 1976 related items and the business and financial arrangements regarding the Story of One Corner maps production; "Stonington, 1976, A Bicentennial of Old and New"
- Sample handwriting books of Nathan Geer and Abby E. Stone
- The Standard-Times insert for August 25, 1991, re Hurricane Bob
- The New London Day, June 22, 1987 article about the dedication of the MRHS archives building
- "History of Katherine Haley Mansion"
- "The Road Church" information
- "Methodist Episcopal Church" information
- Pawmystonian sketches for the class of 1950
- "The Pioneer Denison" by Williams Haynes
- Groton Monument brochure
- Genealogy information on John Denyson (Denison) and wife Agnes
- "Historic Noank" by Timothy Porter
- Newspaper clipping re reprint of "History of Town of Stonington" book by Richard Anson Wheeler
- Complimentary visitor map for Mystic; "Family Trees" printed piece
- Lucy Burrows Hyde genealogy information
- Letter to Mrs. Albert Hunt Chase dated November 15, 1943
- Newsletter clipping showing Dr. Wilbur L. Cross and Governor Raymond E. Baldwin admiring gold medal awarded to Dr. Cross by the New Haven Advertising Club
- Governor Proclamation for Maine Memorial Day re the sinking of the Maine
- Governor Proclamation for the "Back the Attack Day"
- Two brochures for C.B. Cottrell & Sons Company color printing services and one for Waterman-Ladd Danbury Rubber Tile
- Two brochures for Downes-Patterson Corp. "Real Homes"; Points of Interest, Noank, Conn.
- Newspaper clipping re Mrs. Mary Anderson slide show at Noank Historical Society, June, 1972
- Fort Griswold State Park brochure
- Specimen illustrations from "The Stonington Battle Centennial", with photos which correspond to some of those in the collection for the Centennial parade
- Old Mystic Antiques Show notice
- Stonington tour brochures, maps and directories
- Groton points of interest and historic sites news clippings and brochures
- Historical Sketch of the First Baptist Church of Groton, at Old Mystic, Conn.
- Indians of Southern New England, by Princess Red Wing, Dovecrest Indian Trading Post
- Bio, employment and service records of William A Downes; 12 issues of The Log of Mystic Seaport
- 4 pieces of note paper of H.O. Williams, Pharmacist
- Marine Historical (Mystic Seaport) Annual Meeting program for August 14, 1953
- Rogers Brand of Bone Fertilizers promotional booklet
- A Glimpse of Mystic, A Manufacturing and Industrial Center produced by the Board of Trade
- Mystic Seaport color photo card
- William A. Downes talk about "What Happened at Porter's Rocks after Capt. Mason Slept There"
- Mystic Journal of October 11, 18, 25, and November 1, 1951
- Stonington Mirror of July 9, 1948; Mystic Merchants' Messenger of July 15-17, 1948
- Two copies Stonington Tricentennial Souvenir Program, 1949 with commemorative stamps, and envelope, and related news clippings
- Old Mystic Community Association letterhead and measurements of proposed park and other related materials to the set up of the park
- List of members of the Old Mystic Community Association in Fall, 1980
- Two Old Mystic Antiques Show announcements
- 7 copies of Old Mystic in Days Past
- River Road residents property deed copies
- News clippings about the Mystic Community Center sale of land and meeting minutes
- Photocopy of a map of Mystic Village in 1867
- Eleanor Peck piece on the history of the Leeds house
- Map of the Mystic area called Plant Specifications
- Receipt book for the Old Mystic Community Association, from 1984
- 6 photos of Mystic which are cataloged elsewhere in the MRHS collections
- The First Hundred Years copy
- The Groton Story by Carol W. Kimball copy

- Certificate for MRHS Honorable Mention for Celebration '76
- Piece about the Mystic Congregational Church
- Historic Mystic Connecticut Visitor Map & Guide
- Historic Stonington map
- A series of essays on the history of Stonington
- News clipping about Portersville Academy
- When Old Mystic was Mystic piece
- Copy of early MRHS letterhead
- January 9, 1984 letter to MRHS from Paucatuck Eastern Pequot Indians of Connecticut re moving the John Mason monument
- A Plan for Mystic, a Proposal of the Mystic River Task Group, January, 1977
- Postcard book of views of Stonington and North Stonington
- Mystic Peace Temple meetings articles
- MRHS by-law changes proposed in 1975
- Mystic River Task Group materials from 1976
- Portersville Academy brochure
- Stonington Industries Tricentennial brochure
- The Village of Groton Bank: A Historical and Architectural Tour brochure
- Town of Stonington Annual Report for 1949
- Mystic Press article text from November 19, 1885 re the new cotton mill of R.T. and T.R. Palmer
- Photocopies of news clippings: Old Mystic Fire at the woolen mill; Miss Gertrude V. Campbell death on train tracks; Library of Congress letter of 1980 requesting a copy of "The Story of One Corner of Connecticut in 16 Maps" for its collection
- Letter to Downes from Mystic Junior Women's Club re use of Academy for storage
- Letter to George P. Korteweg, Ledyard, re the building of a bulkhead on the river and mailgram on the same subject to the governor; copy of the Mystic Press page for July 12, 1883
- Copy of The Day page for June 26, 1965 re the District Hall
- Historic Houses booklet
- One Hundred Years booklet about the history of Providence, RI
- Some Historic Houses of Worcester booklet.

Connecticut School documents No. 1- 1920. "Connecticut History Stories". Pequot War on page 11.
Click to Enlarge