Burrows Family in Mystic, Connecticut
Object ID:
Front view of the Silas Burrows House (1860–61), Oral School Rd., ca. 1925. The house was located on property traditionally known as the Smith Farm. In 1876 house and 60 acres were sold to establish a school for the deaf, later known as Mystic Oral School. The house remained part of the school until sometime after 1974 when the house was razed. The architectural details of the house suggest the romantic French colonial houses of New Orleans and should be considered in the context of Silas' extensive travel in Europe, Asia, the American South, Latin America and Russia. The house was built at the time of his retirement to Mystic after having established commercial houses in San Francisco and Hong Kong.
Click to Enlarge