Burrows Family in Mystic, Connecticut
Object ID:
1990.001.0489
Collection:
Stinson Collection
Description:
Starboard broadside view of the bark CALEB HALEY at the N.G. Fish & Co. store, Water Street, Mystic, 1866, b&w print. The gambrel–roofed store is in the foreground, partially obscuring the bark. Three men stand in front of the store building. Two horse–drawn carts or wagons can be seen to the right. Men are visible on the wharf and on board the vessel.

Caption from CT History Illustrated: www.connecticuthistoryillustrated.org and the accompanying note: Title supplied by cataloger. Caleb Haley was built for Charles Henry Mallory and others by Maxson, Fish & Co. Her dimensions were 153.6 x 34.5 x 16.7 feet. She was lost on her maiden voyage on the coast of Mexico. All hands were saved. Date is given as July 1866, though it may have been March or early April, soon after the Caleb Haley's February launching. Maxson, Fish & Co. was established in 1853 by William Ellery Maxson and Nathan G. Fish of Mystic, together with other partners. The yard was located in West Mystic. The business went bankrupt in 1870, soon after Fish's death. Nathan Gallup Fish (1804–1870) had a long career in Mystic maritme enterprises. He was a ship's captain, shipbuilder and investor. He also owned the retail store and coal yard that bore his name. The store specialized in outfitting and provisioning vessels. Taken by Everett A. Scholfield, a professional photographer who worked primarily in Mystic and New London from 1865–1913.
Click to Enlarge
Image